Oct. 26–27, 2018
Celebrate National Chemistry Week with us at ChemFest! Chemistry is not limited to beakers and laboratories; it is all around us! See how chemistry is used in the workplace and in everyday life with hands-on activities supervised by chemists from local businesses and universities. This year’s theme is “Chemistry is Out of This World,” so you’ll also learn about chemistry of and in outer space.
Students will engage in hands-on activities and see dazzling demonstrations, which might include:
- Test different varieties of rocks and minerals and rate their hardness using the Mohs Hardness Scale at the Carnegie STEM Girls activity table.
- Pick up a kit to grow your own salt-crystal snowflakes at the Bidwell table.
- See a periodic table demonstration from Robert Morris University, including two demos on golf ball density and containers with various materials to indicate the idea of “full.”
- Get gooey at a slime activity with NOVA Chemicals.
- Be dazzled by the reaction that is created when Seton Hill University representatives mix Pop Rocks candy, different brands of soda, ice and balloons.
- Watch PPG scientists demonstrate the function of silica in car tires by using rolling resistance.
- Explore how dyes and pigments change color when exposed to UV light, make a UV reactive bracelet, and find out if your sunglasses really protect your eyes from UV rays.
Reserve your spot today! Call 412.237.3400.